This buccaneer has developed a little bit of
Last week Henry and I had an argument over cookie-making. He thought we had enough frosting for our batch of cookies, and I didn't. He looked at me and said, "Mom, I know I'm right, because you're a girl, and when girls get pregnant, their brains don't work as well. I'm a boy, so that will never happen to me."
Of course! I've been wondering all along why Henry is so much smarter than me. He's a boy, for crying out loud! Everything makes so much sense now.
In all honesty, I do have to admit that he's a pretty smart kid. Out of curiosity, Ben had him take a 3rd grade reading comprehension test the other night, which he whizzed through and nearly aced. He only missed two questions, one which asked "What was the author's purpose in writing this passage?" (a non-fiction article about owls). Very sincerely, Henry answered that the author's purpose was to "entertain" rather than "inform." I had to laugh when I realized that he really does read these types of articles for pure entertainment, and he had stopped several times during the assessment to tell me interesting tidbits about owls. Afterward, in trying to explain the error to Henry, I pointed out that in addition to being entertained, it seemed like he also learned a lot from the article. "No," he asserted, "I didn't learn ANYTHING from reading that! I already knew ALL of it!" Hmmm. Probably due to the fact that he's not pregnant, I guess.
In case you were wondering, not only does Henry already know pretty much EVERYTHING, but he also is pretty much the most knowledgeable and talented artist in the world. Somehow he got it in his head that I can also hold my own in the art world, but Ben is seriously lacking in his art skills. This is a point of great concern to Henry, and he is constantly brainstorming new ways he can teach Ben to be a better artist. When we tried out a new stencil set Henry got for Christmas, he remarked, "This is pretty easy! I bet even DAD could do this one!" And then he finally convinced Ben to take a formal art lesson from him.
Here is the page where Henry "taught" Ben to draw. 



6 comments:
Wow that boy is pure genius. He is definitely a better artist than me, maybe he can give me a few pointers.cant wait to see you guys!!!
Augh! Don't let him get this way! That's how I thought when I was a kid. You don't want him to end up like me, do you? I figured that because I could read and spell better than Brady, that I was obviously at least fifteen times awesomer than he was. It got to my head. And really, do you remember what a horrible child I was around then? All because mom had me convinced that I was a superior brain with enough talent to become a doctor.
If there was a nice way to stop him from having this attitude, I'd suggest doing it. But until then, good luck living with a kid that will insist that he is destined to become the hegemon of the universe.
I get the biggest kick out of your boys! I've never seen a more righteous 2 year old or a smarter 5year old!
Love that kid!
Jen - sorry, but a friend of mine told me Borat had the same opinion of women's brains. Here is the quote from the internet: "[To Veteran Feminists of America, on question whether women should be educated] Is it not a problem that the woman have a smaller brain than a man? The government scientist Dr Yamuka has proved it is size of squirrel."
Looks like Henry isn't the first to come up with that idea. Sorry to burst his bubble. I'm glad I read this post though, so now he has scientific proof to back up his statement.
Fantastic update. I don't know how you even can keep a straight face with Henry around. What a smart and fun kid. Last time he was here he asked me why my house was so small, I think he was sincerely worried about it and I thought it was so cute and funny.
Post a Comment