When you ask Ellis about his best friends, he says that his two best friends are Henry and Sam . . .
which is kind of funny, because Henry and Ellis really do play GREAT together 85% of the time and fight 15% of the time; Henry is sweet and plays wonderfully with Sam 100% of the time; and Ellis is HORRIBLE with Sam at least 80% of the time - takes toys away from him, knocks him over on purpose, thinks it's really funny every time Sam falls down and cries. I can no longer trust them alone in a room together. Sometimes I just want to punch Ellis in the nose! But then he claims that Sam is one of his best friends. And he has sweet little moments with him like the one in this picture . . . let's say, 5% of the time.
Oh, please tell me there is hope in the world for my sons, especially my 2nd born, the one who currently is testing every virtue I used to think I had!
He looks so sweet in these pictures. Do not be deceived! This mirror has two sides. One minute he is adorable, hilarious, silly, fun, and calm - telling funny jokes, singing sweet songs, setting up his Tabernacle Choir or building his giant Mount Rushmore with all the presidents. The next minute he is knocking his baby brother over, having a 45-minute tantrum, or running around the house pretending to have a gun, saying "I'm John Wilkes Booth -- I'm gonna kill Abraham Lincoln!" That one really broke my heart!
Let's just say that right now I'm using up LOTS of my prayer time on him, praying both that he will turn out to be a decent human being some day (and please, not an assassin), and that I will not suffer from a mental breakdown in the meantime. And would it be too much to ask that Sammy come out of this unscathed?
5 comments:
Jenn--your posts make me laugh all the time! There is hope for Ellis, I'm telling you this because I'm hoping for the same thing for our Taylor..who given your description of Ellis is very much like him. Assasin of Abraham Lincoln aside (however, she wouldn't know who either of them were) :) Keep praying and keep doing what you are doing, because you are an amazing mother...I look up to you with great admiration for the fantastic job you do with your boys! I guess Ben is awesome too...cause it certainly takes two! :)
Jenn! I'm the same possible with my Abby who is the oldest. You're not the only one. Abby and Bella play really well together sometimes but at others...watch out! We just have to keep trying and do our best, right? lots of prayer makes a lot of difference I think. When you said you wanted to punch him in the face...haha that made me feel better...because when Abby does something absolutely horrible--I, too, have a moment of feeling like doing that. I think you're doing a great job though if what your blog shows is a view of what you're doing. You're amazing!
Jenn! Dad and I laughed out loud at your frustration. We all have at least one child a bit more difficult than the rest to raise but Ellis will grow up and be fine (and he won't become an assassin!). And you and Ben will be that much better people for having lived through his youth! I always said that children refine us better than anything else could. Just think of all the patience you're developing!!! Hang in there . . . "this too shall pass!!!!"
I think I'd be a little heartbroken too if my son wanted to be John Wilkes Booth. But I'm sure that deep down Ellis really does love Abraham Lincoln.
This post brings to mind a term my mission president would use a lot: "birichino"--which he said translated to "little devil" but it's used in a very affectionate way. (I just looked it up and Google translates it as "cheeky youngster" or "little scamp")
I'm still an Ellis fan. Good luck with your "little scamp"!
Must admit, laughed at the John Wilkes Booth persona. That was before I read the part about it breaking your heart.
I remember vividly my mom saying to me, (I'm sure I've told you this before)(Yes, this is a direct quote) "You. Are. Miserable." And look at me now! (This is meant to reassure you.) My mom thinks I'm the bees knees now. And I'm sure she would continue to think that even if she lived closer than 3000 miles away. I'm great. And I was miserable.
Post a Comment