After Henry had the day off of school for Good Friday (a novel luxury for us), we decided that if we have Good Friday and Easter Sunday, we had better call the day in between "Happy Saturday!" In our house, it's the day the Easter Bunny comes! The boys were excited about the baskets with candy and a few extra surprises.
Sam loved the punching balloons,
his new cell phone,
and his first sampling of jelly beans (which he was a little confused about. He sucked on them and spit them out -- but he loved them!).
Henry could hardly believe that the Easter Bunny got him something from the Fat Brain catalog: a mind-game called Perplexus.
Ben and Henry were very perplexed by the game. Actually, Henry has really enjoyed it, but Ben has been completely addicted to it!
Ellis was delighted to find an egg full of old men. Artist figurines, to be precise!
Salvador Dali, Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol, and Vincent Van Gogh
He was pleased as punch to line them up with his scientists
I think we're going to have some exciting "Conferences" with these guys. Today I overheard him sustaining Salvador Dali as a prophet and Pablo Picasso as the "Relief Society Stake Presidency."
Ben died eggs with the boys while I attended a Relief Society meeting, and then when I returned, it just so happened to be the PERFECT kite-flying weather! Ben and I purchased a new kite several weeks ago, and we had been waiting for this exact moment to surprise the boys with it! So, we seized the day.
I actually think that kite-flying is one of the most wholesome and enlivening family activities in the universe. It combines so many good things: being outside, getting exercise, looking up at the sky, working together, laughing, and being far away from any sort of electronics or noise.
Yeah, that was me who landed the kite on the power line. Henry was freaking out. It was the end of the fun for him (but nothing actually happened - no sparks or anything! Just pulled the kite down).
We ended the afternoon by finishing up the sugar cookies Henry had been begging to make.
Fact: 90% of our family holiday traditions have something to do with baked goods.
We had a wonderful day, almost crammed with too many good things, but not quite. We got to babysit for our co-op that night, which turned out to be pretty fun. We played my all-time favorite childhood game: Colored Eggs. The kids LOVED it, and I was taken way back to good times with my Allred cousins playing on Grandma's front porch with the green stairs. And we also taught the kids The Bunny Hop. They were AWESOME at it. Aren't we cool?
It was a pretty happy Happy Saturday.
5 comments:
I love the idea of having the Easter basket part be on a Saturday! I'm adding Happy Saturday to my List :) Also, I heart those artist figurines. VvG is my favorite - I adore that flaming red hair.
Looks like a great holiday weekend! Especially the part with the kite.
Looks like a magical Spring weekend!
You find the cutest toys and I love your posts.
KITES!!!! Do you know how much we love kites? Spring goes well with kites and playing catch in my head. And hackey-sack ever since I met Paul.
Post a Comment