Friday, September 14, 2012

And So Begins the Artist Phase

You all know that Ellis has an uncommon interest in people.  Yes, he loves the Church General Authorities and the U.S. Presidents, but really his love is just for PEOPLE of all kinds.  Faces, names, quick facts -- he drinks it all up . . . and there aren't too many other things he IS interested in.  When he received the artist and scientist figurines as gifts, he definitely loved them.  He learned all of their names and played with them a fair amount.  

But the interest didn't catch fire until THIS morning . . .

when Henry discovered that Andy Warhol and Pablo Picasso are featured in his encyclopedia!  It was a flurry of two boys, rushing back and forth between the playroom and the living room, Ellis grabbing artist figures, Henry flipping frantically through pages of the encyclopedia.  These two can be quite the team when their interests happen to align.  They were absolutely electrified by this discovery!

And what fun to match the artist figurines with their actual paintings!

Shortly afterward, Henry found Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein featured in the Science section, and they were able to make another match!

They continued to play and talk about the artists and scientists for the rest of the morning.  It was probably a half hour later when we heard Ellis call out, "Now Henry!  Bring Isaac Newton back to the playroom!  They're having a very important church meeting."

The next day, we found this book at the library:

And since then, Ellis and Henry have both been intent on learning all about the famous artists and their works.  I must admit that while I swear I didn't push this obsession on them, I'm pretty happy about it.  More on the Artist Phase in posts to come.  Stay tuned.  I'm on a catching up rampage!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh, how badly I want to be a part of this! HOORAH for Ellis and Henry discovering artists!

Mary Pugh said...

LOVE these boys!

Paul and Shug said...

Yes! I feel like you should fly Brittany out just to help/witness. She could give lectures.