Are you kidding me? I could hardly believe it when Henry opened this birthday card, and a big fat number seven was staring me in the face. Doesn't seven sound old? How could I have a 7-year-old?
It's hard to believe, but I must admit that I'm really enjoying some of the different aspects of parenthood that come as your kids get older. I enjoy my friendship with Henry so much. He is a delightful little person (who is not so little anymore). I LOVE walking with him to school and back on most days. I love that when I gave into the temptation to let Henry ride with the neighbor for three days in a row, Henry told me that he much prefers walking with me. "Because I like the exercise," he said, "and because I just like talking to you, Mom." How can one resist such a comment? I really love to be with Henry too! He has so many fun, creative ideas, and he is so energetic and positive.
I asked Henry how he wanted to spend his after-school time today, for his birthday. He opted out of a playdate or an outing. He wanted to stay home and work on the "Army of Penguins" 3D craft he has been dreaming up. I don't think our one penguin quite reached his hopes and dreams of creating the whole army, but it was still pretty fun. It reminded me of the good old days when (at 4 and 5), Henry would ask, "Mom, what's going to be our Craft of the Day?" It has been a while since we have been able to pull off even a Craft of the Month.
It turns out that the number one reason why Henry and I don't do many crafts anymore is that two little brothers don't like it when Mom gives one-on-one attention to Henry. Henry is SO patient with these brothers, and with his mom as she tries to figure out how to balance time between them all. I'm afraid Henry gets neglected a little too often, but he never complains. He rolls with the punches.
Henry's choice for dinner: McDonald's cheeseburgers. In other words, Dad was in charge of dinner tonight, which I can't complain about!
Seven candles for this patient, charming, kind, generous, creative, energetic, silly, handsome boy of mine. I love you, Henry!
3 comments:
I know we're not supposed to play favorites, but when Jeff and I taught Henry's Sunday School class, he was our favorite. Happy birthday to one cool seven year old!
He was just a wee baby that I got to hold and tend for hours once each week not so long ago. And now he seems so very grown up! We can't wait to spend time and talk to him next week. Talking with Henry is always a treat (and we learn SO much).
Good Blogging this week Griff. It almost makes me cry to read about Henry being so grown up and you getting to enjoy him so much. Good job having a family and being a mom! Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment