Thursday, February 07, 2013

National Portrait Galllery

We love having family in Washington, D.C.!  The 9+ hour drive might scare us away from visiting, but knowing we have family (Ben's sisters, Katie and Kara) to stay with and play with always gets us back there!

We went for a week around New Year's and had a grand time with The Bairds and Ludlows, as well as Ben's parents, who flew out because they can't miss a good party.  And of course, I took almost zero pictures of the family doing normal family things -- even though that is the real reason we went to Virginia.  Our boys were in heaven getting to spend time with their cousins (and let's not forget to mention their cousins' Wii), and we loved our time with family as well.

Every time we visit, we like to do one or two things in D.C. -- we're checking them off our list gradually.  Ben and I visited the Library of Congress, which was stunning and inspiring.  And to please Ellis, we took a trip to . . . 

The National Portrait Gallery!  They had portraits of a lot of famous people that Ellis likes (Georgia O'Keefe, Albert Einstein, Martin Luther King . . .)

But the Hall of Presidents was his favorite (of course).

Can you tell that he's pleased as punch?

This is his classic proud-and-pleased-but-doesn't-want-to-show-it face.

Ellis quietly took in the thrill of the gallery, talking about presidents and wanting to see more and more.  We had to laugh because (aside from the Clinton portrait above), most of the portraits look identical to the flashcards we have at home . . . so seeing these pictures was nothing new.  But they were REAL PAINTINGS.  Which is awesome.  Of course.  I'm just glad my 4-year-old can appreciate that.

The best part, however, was watching Sam get in on the action.  Just being around Ellis has taught Sam a love for the presidents, so he was ecstatic about all of them.  I loved hearing his little baby voice calling out, "Wincon!" (Lincoln), "Waygan!" (Reagan), and "Nicken!" (Nixon).  I think Sam probably knew 2/3 of their names, which came as a shock to me (and the museum guard standing nearby).  Let's not forget that Sam's  favorite is OBAMA!!!  He insisted on checking out this "Obama Show" from the library last week . . . and he has insisted on watching it several times.  I just love seeing how excited he gets about it:


1 comment:

Paul and Shug said...

You are all so crazy! I love it.