Sunday, July 08, 2007

Greenwich Village and SoHo

(Jenn) So up until a few months ago, I had not officially fallen in love with anything about New York City. There are definitely things I love about it (Broadway, shopping, cupcakes, Central Park, the Brooklyn Bridge, Ellis Island), but I haven't been able to say that I'm IN LOVE with it. I don't know if I can explain it. I have always compared it to Boston, and I definitely love Boston. There was so much of Boston that just made my heart leap with inexplicable ecstacy. Boston has so much natural, tangible, poetry-infused beauty. I hadn't found that in New York City . . .
Until a few weeks ago. On a walk while Ben's family was here, I stumbled into a quarter of New York City that I didn't know existed: SoHo. I guess I had heard about SoHo and Greenwich Village before, but I didn't know enough about them to know that I would love them. Anyway, there is something about the architecture there that I love. You can see what I'm talking about from the pictures, I guess. The brownstones and cast iron remind me a lot of Boston's Beacon Hill. I guess both of these neighborhoods have been largely homes to the artists of New York, up until recently, as they have gained popularity. SoHo was mostly factories that were preserved historically when converted into residences and businesses. Greenwich Village was the center of the bohemian scene for many years.

Anyway, I dragged Ben and Henry along on a walking tour yesterday. We explored Greenwich Village, Washington Square, and SoHo, finishing up the tour with some great (window-) shopping on West Broadway, which seemed to be the center of good music, happy people, and a relaxed atmosphere. I was DEVASTATED when we looked at our watches and realized -- halfway into our shopping and before we had time to grab the dinner we were planning on -- that we would have to leave immediately to catch our train to get home at 8:00 instead of 10:00pm. So I'm still left with just a tiny taste in my mouth, and I'm definitely craving more. I'm sure we'll get back.

As much as I loved walking around in these areas, I must say that I suppose I'm glad we don't live there. Although the neighborhoods and buildings are beautiful, there is a culture there propogating ideas I don't agree with. Ben and I were glad to come home and realize that, although we saw a lot of people that seemed to be having a good time, we feel sorry for them because they don't seem to know what brings true happiness in life. So much of the world is confused. We are so lucky to know that happiness doesn't come from fancy clothes, expensive homes, nights out drinking with lots of friends, and expressing alternative lifestyles. I really don't think anyone could be as happy as we are -- we know the way of life and choices that will make us happiest, and we have each other to add further to our rapture. I wish everyone could know the feeling of giggling with Henry before putting him to bed! Anyway, enough rambling. I'm off.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Those pictures look so fun! I didn't make it to SoHo or Greenwich Village when I visited, so I guess I need to come back!! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay Jenn! You know me and SoHo and Greenwich Village are definitely places I would love to see. Times Square and Canal Street are necessary sites if you visit NYC but the chaos was good to leave. With Henry, I'm glad you don't live in SoHo too, though I love Beacon Hill in Boston and love your pictures of SoHo and Greenwich. Mostly I'm glad you and Ben are so happy and that you live the gospel!! Mom I.

Becca said...

I love those areas too but definitely not the place for families. Fun to visit, but so nice to get back to a 'homey' environment where you can be yourself.