Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween


(Jenn)

I don't think I'll ever be one of you people who makes posts declaring "I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!!!!" But I did love lots of things about Halloween this year (see, I'm coming around). Here are some of them:

1. Not having to make Henry a costume because we "recycled" his garbage man costume from last year. Hey, it was a hit last year, and no one here had seen it yet. And Henry doesn't know any better to object!
2. Not spending ANY money on costumes. I scrounged together Ellis' garbage can costume with stuff from around the house and touched up a few things on Henry's garbage truck. Together, they still looked pretty awesome, and they made quite the appearance at the church Halloween party.

3. At the grocery store yesterday when Henry saw a slightly scary-looking white-haired bearded man. He said, VERY loudly, "Is that man Santa?" And of course the man heard, and I tried to laugh and make a joke out of it, and then the man looked at Henry and said, "Hey, I like your scary mask. Is that your mask or your face?" And he tried to pull off Henry's mask. VERY spooky!

4. Making doughnuts with our new friend Eliza. It took about 2 hours longer than I was expecting, and we learned a few lessons (don't put your favorite plastic spoon in hot oil!), but it was fun and festive, and the doughnuts tasted fabulous.

5. Trick-or-treating with Henry. He was much more excited about driving his garbage truck really fast through the street than getting the candy. He skipped about half of the houses because he got going so fast and didn't want to stop.



6. Seeing how Halloween CAN bring out the best in people. We got to meet all of the neighbors we haven't met yet while trick-or-treating. Since our neighborhood doesn't get many trick-or-treaters (I think we got 12), most people took a minute to talk to us and get to know us before we left. LOTS of nice people live in our neighborhood. They were sweet with Henry and kept saying, "Oh, take a few more." Kathy even gave him 2 extra gummy eyeballs for Mom and Dad (score!). And our next-door neighbor Peggy came to our house before we even left for trick-or-treating and gave Henry a gallon-size bag full of candy bars. Okay, so maybe they were just trying to get rid of their candy, but I'm not complaining.

7. Now it's over and everyone will take their morbid decorations down and we can just enjoy Autumn as it was meant to be. Happy November everyone!

8 comments:

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca said...

I love using costumes more than once and Henry's was so great last year! That's great you were able to use it again. Great idea for Ellis' garbage can - love it!

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

I think it is great what you did with the garbage can, that was a fabulous idea. I am not one that LOVES Halloween either. I like the cute fun part of Halloween, but not the morbid scary stuff...which most folks love..oh well. Great costumes, and those donuts looked fabulous!

David and Amy said...

Yum, those donuts look tempting!
Henry's costume is so great, I'm glad you got another year out of it. And Ellis' costume is so clever! I love (and envy) your creativity!

Christina said...

So cute! I love the costumes! You have always been so creative. I think it runs in your blood because Jayson and Tanner are always coming up with new things. And your mom & dad come up with the funnest things too. Tanner is Jayson's go-to person when it comes to asking/answering girls for dances! My creativity runs pretty thin there.

Shaun - Jillian said...

I love the costumes Jenn! I think they are absolutely darling and very creative! I love the garbage can! The donuts look delicious - I need to get your recipe! I remember always making yummy treats when we were growing up!

Kate said...

I'm not one to declare my undying love for Halloween, either. It's just not a holiday I've ever really liked.

I'm glad you had a fun time.

Ah, and your "morbid decorations" comment made me laugh. :D

Reno 411 said...

The doughnuts look very tasty. I loved Henry's costume last year, and this year is no different. He looked darling. As for Ellis' costume, you are so dang creative. Happy Fall!