Saturday, January 24, 2009

Farewell, Friend

Many of you will remember this dear family member of many years, the Hitachi 2. If you knew Ben during his childhood or teenage years, you may recognize this TV from the Iverson living room. Or if you knew me during my childhood or teenage years, you may THINK you recognize this TV because it is identical to the Hitachi 1, which graced the Griffin home for many years and also adorned a few apartments in my Provo days. If you are lucky, you may also remember that precious time when Ben and I were first married, and we had BOTH the Hitachi 1 and 2 in our apartment, stacked on top of each other as inseparable friends.
Ah, the memories. I'm sure if you were acquainted with either of the beautiful, wood-paneled Hitachis, you will be disappointed to see that we're finally saying our last goodbye. The government forced us into it! We would have been happy to keep this TV for 20 more years, but it's going to be obsolete next month with the big switch to digital. Darn newfangled gadgets! We opted to spend $65 on a TV from craigslist instead of $40 on the digital converter box. This is the new beauty below. You can see we're not big spenders when it comes to electronics. We were excited though, to find a TV with a digital tuner for $65. Some might even argue that it's a better TV than our old one. It's bigger, clearer, and has a remote control. Who knew how convenient a remote control would be? Last night we watched a movie and exulted every time we didn't have to stand up to turn the volume up or down. You're probably already judging us for our vanity. At least we still have the classy rabbit ears to keep us humble.

5 comments:

Ned and Linda said...

Our dear friend, the Iverson's first color TV is gone! What a life story it had at our house and then at yours. Funny how a silly object like the matching Iverson/Griffin TV can become sentimental. May your new Craig's list TV serve you as well and make many happy memories! Mom I.

David and Amy said...

Oh my goodness, it truly is the end of an era! I have many fond memories of both TVs, but it was especially fun when they were doubled up at your first apartment. Your new TV looks great!
PS-We miss you all too. Hopefully we'll be able to visit you on our next trip to the temple in February! I'll be in touch with you. :)

Paul and Shug said...

NOooooooooooooooo!

brenna said...

I definitely recognize that tv. Congrats on the upgrade.

Dan-o said...

I'll probably never forgive you for throwing away my childhood with the trash. I hope you took the liberty of smashing the cathode ray tube. The vacuum pop of a good smashed TV is hard to beat. If you would have asked me though I could have told you that the sweet new digital TV converter boxes come with a remote and digital tuner! It's like watching TV through your VCR. You bet your bippy we bought a converter box with our gov'ment coupon.