Monday, August 13, 2007

Bread-Winning at the Grocery Store

(Jenn) One thing that excites me more than anything else in my current role as homemaker is SAVING MONEY! Ben's ear is probably numb by now from listening to me ramble on and on about what incredible deals I found at the grocery store. That's why I'm telling you! Maybe someone out there will care. Personally, I think what I'm about to tell you is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

In the last two weeks, I bought the following items (all of which were on sale at ShopRite, my current favorite grocery store):
4 boxes of Lucky Charms @ $2 each
3 boxes of Kix cereal @ $2 each
3 boxes of Oat Clusters Cheerios Crunch (yummy, by the way) @ $2 each
2 boxes of Frosted Flakes @ $2 each
1 box of Apple Jacks @ $2 each
1 box of Fruit Loops @ $2 each
4 boxes of Kellogg's/Disney fruit snacks @ $1.67 each
2 boxes of Wheatables crackers (much better than Wheat Thins, by the way) @ $2.50 each

I used the following coupons:
$2.00 off 5 GM cereals
$1.00 off 2 GM cereals
$.75 off Oat Clusters Cheerios Crunch x 3 for Triple Coupon Day
$.75 off Oat Clusters Cheerios Crunch x 3 for Triple Coupon Day
$.75 off Oat Clusters Cheerios Crunch x 3 for Triple Coupon Day
$1.00 off 2 Kellogg's cereals
$1.00 off 2 Kellogg's cereals
$1.00 off 2 Kellogg's fruit snacks
$1.00 off 2 Kellogg's fruit snacks

I also received the following promotions:
$10.00 coupon for buying 10 GM items (ShopRite promotion)
$10.00 coupon for buying 10 Kellogg's items (ShopRite promotion)
$10.00 mail-in rebate for buying 10 Kellogg's items (from the coupon section)

Total cost of items (on sale): $39.68
Total minus coupons: $27.62
Total minus promotions: -$2.38
Postage stamp for mail-in rebate: .41
Total cost for my "purchases:" -$1.97

In short, I received 20 boxes of cereal, crackers, and fruit snacks, and I ended up MAKING $1.97! Now, just try to tell me that a stay-at-home mom is not also the "Bread Winner" of the family. I think I definitely deserve some credit here! Shouldn't that $39.68 I could have spent go toward a new pair of shoes or something? If you think so, send your comments to Ben by clicking below (thanks!).

5 comments:

Mel said...

That is utterly amazing. Being a cereal lover, I am way jealous. Wow.

L said...

Oooh, Jenn, I am so proud of you and I definately think you should be able to get a new wardrobe item of your choice. Way to go!!!!
Lichelle:>

Katie said...

Mike says, "Don't forget to pay your tithing on your income!"

The Sorensens said...

Way to go hot mama! You definitely deserve a new pair of shoes.

Reno 411 said...

Jenn I am so TOTALLY impressed with you. You SO deserve a new pair of shoes and a pedicure to go with them. Way to be a smart shopper.