(Jenn) Was anyone else a little disappointed with Dashboard Confessional's latest album, Dusk and Summer? There were a few good songs, but the album seemed to me like a complete departure from a lot of the things I loved about Dashboard. So we've had a year to lament the fact that Chris Carrabba stopped doing what he does best -- make extraordinary, accessible, soul-wrenching albums.
And along comes Secondhand Serenade -- answering the call to make Dashboard-like music for those of us who have been seeking it so desperately. Hey, if Chris Carrabba isn't going to do it, someone else can . . . right? I have had the album for less than 24 hours so far, so it's hard to really judge it fairly, but so far I like it. But it's almost haunting how much he sounds like DC, and in that way it almost makes me a little bit resentful (Hey, that was the exact interval from Saints and Sailors!). I've decided I need to either pretend like Secondhand Serenade IS Dashboard (which is the slightest bit disappointing because he's just not QUITE as good, particularly the voice and the lyrics), or I can try to forget that it's even similar to Dashboard and just enjoy it for what it is (good, raw music with some amazing, although not quite extraordinary lyrics).
Anyway, I thought I'd pass on the news for any of you who might be seeking out some good music or who felt a loss with Dusk and Summer (I must give Jacob Priest credit for the recommendation). It doesn't quite measure up to DC's quality, but hey, does anything? I have to at least give this guy credit for doing what Chris Carrabba is no longer doing. And I believe this (Awake) is his debut album, so perhaps it can at least give us something to hope for with the next album. Listen to it on iTunes or Amazon and see what you think!
No comments:
Post a Comment