Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Nesting, Nesting, and More Nesting

(Jenn)
In fact, I'm getting a little tired of nesting. Notice, there are 3 days to go until my due date. Henry was born 5 days before his due date, so at this point, I feel very overdue. I'm DYING!!! I'm running out of ideas to keep myself occupied. I've cleaned the house and gone grocery shopping "for the last time" three times now! Every morning I get dressed thinking, "This will be the last maternity outfit before the baby comes," so I try to choose carefully. Then every night I check my hospital bag to make sure it's completely ready so I can just grab it when I go into labor in the middle of the night. And then somehow, I wake up in my own bed at 7 in the morning and realize that once again, nothing has happened. I'm dumbfounded every time! I wonder what that baby countdown widget does when you reach your due date. Probably something cruel and taunting.

So yes. Everything on the checklist is crossed off. I really don't want to clean the baseboards and windowsills again. I'm getting desperate. That's why we decided to make Henry his very own traffic light! I think it is pretty cool, actually, and it kept us busy for a day. I'm proud of Ben for cutting out the wood and putting it together (all with a manual saw!). In the home I grew up in, my mom could say, "Honey, will you make a _________ (bookshelf, picture frame, miniature tricycle . . .) out of wood?" and my dad could whip it out in a manner of minutes. So I grew up thinking that's what dads do. Lo and behold, Ben is answering the call. Henry and I did the painting together yesterday (you can see he took the assignment very seriously), and now we can tell our cars when to stop, when to go, and when to stop and go at the same time (Henry's personal favorite). Hopefully it will alleviate all the "cars stuck in traffic" that has been going on around our house recently.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Very cool traffic light - I LOVE the creativity!

I can imagine how you are feeling! Emma was 9 days early and Caleb was 3 days late until they induced me because Chris was starting school 45 minutes away from home and I was scared he wouldn't get home to get me to the hospital! But, they do come :) Hang in there! We'll be looking forward to seeing your lil' guy!!

Maile said...

Wow, you guys are just impressive people - making your own stoplights! I grew up in a home where you called someone to come fix your leaky faucet, etc. so I was impressed Peter knew how to change lightbulbs! =) Okay, it wasn't that drastic, but still...I never would have thought you could make your own lightbulb. I'll have to see how Peter feels about this.

David and Amy said...

We've been thinking a lot about you and I check your blog so many times a day for any baby news! I'm very eager for Frankie to arrive. The stoplight is awesome and I love the picture of Ben and Dan-O, they are so beautiful. :)

Reno 411 said...

I am so sorry you haven't had your little guy yet. Its pretty miserable going so close to your due date. I hope he makes his appearance soon. Good Luck!

The traffic light looks great.