Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bookworm



I love this boy. I especially love when he has a low grade fever with a slight runny nose so he can stay home from school and be with me and his brothers who need him!

Yesterday he was home sick, and I had already scheduled to have some friends (and their kids) come over, so Henry was sent upstairs to rest and read in my bedroom where he could keep his germs to himself. I asked him to get a stack of books to take upstairs with him. This is the stack he chose (weighing in at a hefty 16 pounds!). I offered to carry the books up the stairs for him, and he followed me up. I told him his quarantine didn't have to start until the people arrived, but he insisted, "It's kind of a lot of books. I'd better get started!"

Fast forward 3 1/2 hours. I spent time with friends, ended up making lunch for our guests, and completely forgot about Henry. Finally he opened the door and peeked out. "Mom, I have to go to the bathroom REALLY bad, and I'm also kind of hungry!" It was 1:30 in the afternoon, and until that point, he had been completely happy to spend that whole time reading!  It worked out great, because his school is having a reading challenge this month, so he racked up a bunch of hours for that (he ended up reading 3 more hours today as well).

Notice that he didn't put a single fiction book in his stack.  Henry is totally a non-fiction guy, and a total BOY, for sure.  These are his current favorite reads:

We love having this subscription!  Henry eats it up!
He could look at toy catalogs for HOURS.  This one is especially awesome.

Birthday gift of 2010, which he still looks at every single week.

Comes in handy when you need a "weird but true" fact to impress friends

This one is pretty awesome and is proving to be quite useful.  Did you know that Arlington, MA has a museum that displays a collection of the country's most burnt food?



2 comments:

Brittany said...

Reading is so EXCITING at that age. I remember reading labels of cleaning supplies and just absolutely glorying in the words. And I LOVED the prospect of staying home from school because it meant I could read ALL DAY. Henry and I should hang out more often :)

Paul and Shug said...

Oh. I'm pretty sure I loved staying home from school for the ginger-ale and The Price Is Right. And I remember staring at the back of the couch. Hmmm...