(Jenn) Ben says it's too cruel to post this video, but I can't help it! This is what happened the first day I tried implementing a sticker chart to help motivate Henry to go potty. The idea was that if he filled up the chart with stickers, we would get to visit the Children's Museum in New York City (he absolutely LOVED the Children's Museum in Boston and has been talking about it nonstop since we went). The museum was a good motivation for Henry, although at first it was a little too good. He got so frustrated every time nothing would come out because he NEEDED those stickers! You really should watch this:
That was about a month ago. After the initial anxiety wore off, I think Henry's potty skills improved quite a bit. He finished the chart on Monday, so yesterday he and I headed off to the Children's Museum!
We had a fun day together. We rode the train into the city (this was half the fun), and then had a great time at the museum. Henry especially enjoyed driving all sorts of different cars, trucks, and busses! He also spend a good long time playing in the "market" where he got to buy and prepare all sorts of food. After the museum, we had a picnic lunch in Central Park and then got to visit Daddy at work before heading home. It was a fun and exhausting day -- we both fell asleep on the train ride home! So today we are diving into full-fledged potty training! Henry has been talking about wanting to wear underwear like some of his friends, so we went out last week and picked out a few pairs. He has been anxious for Potty Day ever since! I really had to block out a whole day on the calendar where we wouldn't go ANYWHERE, because I feel like I'm probably the one holding Henry back the most on potty training because I'm always rushing him everywhere. So today we're home all day -- reading books, playing with Play-Doh (for Henry's first time because I am such a lazy mom), and mostly going potty (he wants to go about every ten minutes). So far, it's going okay. We've been through 4 pairs of underwear in a little over 4 hours. Apparently I should have bought more than 6 pairs! Still, we've had several successful moments this morning, and I'm still hopeful. I'm optimistic because I'm thinking of how nice it would be to have Henry all trained before our big move and new baby. I won't be surprised if something backfires either. We'll see! Wish us luck -- we need it!
I love Henry's hairdo, he is such a little man with it styled up like that! The video is so funny and cute; good luck to all of you with this endeavor!
You are brave. I tried to potty train Carter about 2 weeks ago and after 7 changes of underwear I thought maybe he's not ready. I will attempt it again but I am in no hurry. I have learned from experience that they will potty train when they are ready. GOOD LUCK! I hope you have better luck than I did.
Good Luck with potty training. yes, you will probably want more underwear! :) It took a week to finally get Carter in the groove of things. We would still put on a pull up when we would leave the house--out of mom's pure laziness of the thought of changing when we were out and about. He hated having to put a pull-up on and was really good about telling us he needed to go. After about 2 weeks of going out in public like that he got to wear his big boy pants always! Potty training is worth it--keep a positive attitude. LOVE the video--he is very motivated, that is the best start.
I was laughing so hard when I watched that video. That is great that he is potty training. That will be very nice when the other baby comes along so you will only have one in diapers. When do you find out what you are having or are you going to find out?
Man - talk about anxiety! So Jen - we need to have a chat about this potty training thing. Email me when you have a minute ok? I'm gearing up for Olivia's training and feel totally clueless.
7 comments:
That video is just precious, in a strange mom sort of way. I've never heard of a kid wanting to go to the bathroom so desperately!
I would plan on at least 3 days of staying home:) That video is great!!! Definately keep that around for future use! Good luch with everything!
I love Henry's hairdo, he is such a little man with it styled up like that! The video is so funny and cute; good luck to all of you with this endeavor!
You are brave. I tried to potty train Carter about 2 weeks ago and after 7 changes of underwear I thought maybe he's not ready. I will attempt it again but I am in no hurry. I have learned from experience that they will potty train when they are ready. GOOD LUCK! I hope you have better luck than I did.
Good Luck with potty training. yes, you will probably want more underwear! :) It took a week to finally get Carter in the groove of things. We would still put on a pull up when we would leave the house--out of mom's pure laziness of the thought of changing when we were out and about. He hated having to put a pull-up on and was really good about telling us he needed to go. After about 2 weeks of going out in public like that he got to wear his big boy pants always! Potty training is worth it--keep a positive attitude. LOVE the video--he is very motivated, that is the best start.
I was laughing so hard when I watched that video. That is great that he is potty training. That will be very nice when the other baby comes along so you will only have one in diapers. When do you find out what you are having or are you going to find out?
Man - talk about anxiety! So Jen - we need to have a chat about this potty training thing. Email me when you have a minute ok? I'm gearing up for Olivia's training and feel totally clueless.
Post a Comment