Monday, May 16, 2011

Mt. Auburn Cemetery


We had a feeling that Ben's parents might have a hard time returning to Utah from the breathtakingly beautiful and G-R-E-E-N Scotland. So we thought we'd help break them in slowly by taking them to the most enchanting place in our neighborhood: the Mount Auburn Cemetery. My pictures don't do it justice. The cemetery was absolutely gorgeous with all the spring blossoms in perfect bloom.


Ben's mom and dad couldn't get enough of the azaleas, rhododendrons, and flowering dogwoods, and they helped us plan out what we will plant in our future yard (someday!).


I adore all the details of this garden cemetery - from the ancient-looking headstones to the ornate little signs that mark all of the pathways. I wish I had more/better pictures -- especially of the angel statues that I would definitely choose over a slab of granite to mark my grave (remember that, friends).


We had a picnic here at the mount where we could see a pretty decent view of Boston. It was a bit chilly and overcast. We were commenting on how the whole experience seemed like something we would do in Scotland . . . when we heard the sound of bagpipes coming from below. A Scottish funeral was about to start in the chapel. Coincidence? [I think Ben must have paid them in advance.]


Here is the view of the city from the top of the cemetery's tower (yes, this picture was taken on a different, less-cloudy day).


The Warrens and I agree on names that sound good together, apparently.


Ellis used every spigot he saw as a "mikerphone" to conduct General Conference.


Here he is sitting down while waiting for the Tabernacle Choir to sing "Glory to God on High."


Here he found the perfect set of steps to be a Tabernacle Kid. He insisted on singing 3 verses of "I am a Child of God" at full volume.


And here's Henry standing perfectly still for a full 2 minutes. He was sure he heard the buzzing of a bee, and you never can be too cautious.

4 comments:

Mal said...

OhMyGoodness your boys are so adorable! What a beautiful place. Some of those old cemeteries are so enchanting. Sounds like a brilliant choice for an outing.

Deidre said...

Loved the updates about the cemetary Henry Ellis...pretty cool and I'm so glad Ellis did get to meet L. Tom Perry. What a sweet story!

David and Amy said...

What a gorgeous place! I love all the pretend General Conference play from Ellis. And the picture of Henry frozen in place to avoid catching the bee's attention is hilarious!

"All you need is love" said...

Is there really a group called "Tabernacle kids" or is that Ellis' special name for his very own group. At first I thought you were kidding, but the multiple references has me doubting.