After Ellis was born, we invented "Mommy School" as a way for Henry & I to get to spend positive time together. We did reading practice, coloring/tracing practice, and then the Mommy School activity. It was nice to have a special time scheduled into each day (we did it right after lunch) to spend together. Since Henry started Joy School, we haven't been as religious about Mommy School, but we still enjoy doing letter-writing practice when we can, and we still love the activities. JoDee emailed me recently asking for ideas on what to do for the activities. I typed them up in response to her, and thought it wouldn't hurt to post them here.
I kept ideas like this folded up on pieces of paper in a jar, and we could choose one each day. The rule: the ideas had to be simple enough to gather materials and prepare for it in less than 2 minutes. Most of them involve objects you probably have lying around your house. I'm looking for new, similar ideas, if you'd like to share them! I'll give you my 32 if you'll leave an idea or two in the comment section. Deal?
Here are the ideas (gathered from everywhere, from Joy School to Real Simple to the I Can Trace books):
- Sorting (different colored beans, goldfish, whatever you have) into different cups
- Stringing pasta or cereal to make a necklace
- Lace ups
- Rainbow name (write their name and trace the outline in different colors, like a rainbow)
- Play dough
- Typing letters
- Tweezers/Tongs (moving objects from one bowl or basket to another with tweezers or tongs)
- Ball/sports
- Stickers
- Giant drawing (trace their body and draw a life-size kid)
- Boggle or Scrabble letters
- Dominoes
- Will it float? (have the child gather objects and then guess if they'll sink or float)
- Follow the leader (sing the Peter Pan song while marching around the house, taking turns being leader)
- Plant seeds
- Where's my lid? (give a bunch of containers and lids and have them match them up)
- Play a game
- Color mixing (with cups of water and food coloring)
- Concentration/Memory (play the game or create your own)
- Bubbles
- Pbskids.org
- Fingers and toes (trace fingers and toes and color pictures of them)
- Hide & seek surprises (have them open containers with screw-off lids with a surprise - toys you already have or tiny treats - inside)
- "Piano lessons"
- Bowling (make bowling pins out of household items and bowl)
- Go for a discovery walk
- Blanket fort
- Story writing (have child dictate a story to you; draw or take pictures to illustrate)
- Paper toys (print, fold, and glue a toy free from The Toy Maker or Paper Toys.
- Blow bubbles in a cup (using a small amount of dishsoap in water, blowing with a straw!)
- Finger-paint (with shaving foam, pudding, ketchup, or dishwasher detergent mixed with water)
- Paint the sidewalk (with a bucket of water and paint brushes)
9 comments:
I think I would do blanket fort and giant drawing every day. Every single day. I want to do giant drawing in seminary but I'm too cheap/broke to get the paper. Maybe we'll do sidewalk giant drawing when it warms up and clears off. Body tracing was an art therapy project they did with every girl that came to Center for Change. They would do it when they first got there and then again when they got ready to leave. Pretty sweet. Ideas???? I always tell people that I am not really an idea kind of a person. Sorry. Poor poor seminary class.
Jenn...I never would have guessed you struggled with this too. I tell people all the time that I can only drive a train around a track so many times. These ideas are wonderful!! Thank you so much! We also love the games on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse site, puzzles (sometimes we race or try to do the easy ones with our eyes closed), playing with magnets, and sidewalk chalk - we do that EVERY time it's semi-warm outside.
leap frog made an awesome kid friendly "go fish" card game with plastic things that help kids hold a large hand of cards. Jane loves it. we play alphabet go fish to kill the time...
you're ideas are awesome
Haha. Getting a play kitchen has totally helped me out with this as I can no longer fight, kill, or maim anything without going crazy. I'm so over super heroes.
Legos have been a life saver for us because building is a great way to interact.
Hey Jenn, wanna come by the mom to my kids? My girls need your creativity (I'm almost going to stop letting them read your blog because they want to do all these fun activities, and I'm not sure I'm up for it! :)
Here are a few ideas to toss in your bag:
watercolor painting
making cookies/muffins, etc.
puzzles
cotton balls (glue them as clouds, snowmen, sheep, etc.)
bead art (you need some Perler beads--Henry would love them if he hasn't played with them yet)
Can't wait to see you soon!
I can't think of any ideas at the moment, but I wanted to let you know I have the very same problem. Big time. And I also feel major guilt over it. I can read stories to my kids all day, but I do not have a long attention span for playing their games. I can't decide if I'm supposed to just grin and bear it or encourage them in their individual play. But, anyway, I love your ideas for activities. I have found that the times when we have a set amount of time for playing makes it easier for me to stick with it for that period of time, knowing I'll be getting back to my to-dos soon.
Wow! That is quite the list and I NEVER would have guessed that you are horrible at playing with those boys. I guess I only see what is on the blog, right?
Let's see, what do I do with my children? seriously I have nothing new. I just sat here and couldn't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned already. Sorry for my lack of help. I guess I wanted you to know that it is okay that they play on their own and it is okay that you don't want to play cars anymore! :)
As soon as I get our RS birthday party over (tomorrow night!) I am making my "O" Jar with these activities. Love them! A few things we've also loved is going on nature walks each season looking for "Signs of Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter" and getting all the hands-on we can...touching the moss, tasting the snow, smelling the flowers...etc. Also, Dollar Tree has some sweet puzzles that Olivia loves ... we've got 6 or 7 we cycle through. Story time under a blanket fort is another favorite.
I'm loving yours and I thought of a few my family enjoys:
Fire Drill (both stop drop and roll, and running out of the house to our meeting spot)
Hide & Seek
Run from Mom
Stickers
Acting out a story (of course Princess stories at my house)
Post a Comment