After reading this book, Henry had a vision. He couldn't stop talking about how he wanted to have his very own Tag Sale, inviting all of his friends. The friends would all bring toys they no longer wanted, and then the kids would sell their toys to each other. "Sure," I said, "We can do that." "Okay," Henry replied, "When should everyone come? After lunch today?"
It took a little more advanced planning than that, but we worked together to pull off Henry's dream. Here's how it worked:
Upon arrival, every child was given an envelope in exchange for 5-10 unwanted toys and books. The envelope contained a set amount of play money, price tag labels for their toys (with pre-set amounts on them), and a number indicating which group they would be in.
Then the kids looked at the toys they brought, ranked them from best to worst, affixed the price tags, and dropped them in corresponding baskets.

Then, we purchased lunch. Each family brought one healthy food and one snack food, which were sold for $1 each.
There were some pretty amazing treats, like Christy's chocolate-dipped marshmallows (and other marshmallows dipped in white chocolate, caramel, and Rice Krispies). Yum!
After lunch, the store opened! Kids came to the store in groups and got to pick out new toys! Hooray for new toys!
I give Henry 100% credit for this fabulous idea. I'm glad to have a little dreamer for a son. He's got the party planning vision, which is very important.

10 comments:
I'm really impressed! That sounds like an amazing idea! I just went through Abby's toys and have 4 plastic bins full of toys in her closet. We'd decided to only let her have 10 toys out at a time so as to keep the house a little more orderly and make bedtime easier...so I'm thinking trading toys or even donating them would be a good idea eventually. I hadn't gotten to that point of thinking about that though!
Party planning IS very important! I am seriously impressed.
What a wonderful idea!
Wow! That is all I can come up with, wow. You amaze me with all your creative fabulousness. :)
Jenn, you are such a nice mom! And Henry amazes me with the things he comes up with.
Griff, you are so beautiful.
How fun. He is definitely going down the entrepreneurial route :)
What a cool little guy! Its a great party idea.
Griff, you're really smart. And I LOVE your hair in this picture.
This is so awesome! Seriously. I absolutely love this idea.
Post a Comment